Video Details Security Weakness; Mob Overwhelmed Inadequate Local Forces
By ADAM ENTOUS, SIOBHAN GORMAN, MARGARET COKER and JAY SOLOMON
WASHINGTON—The State Department suffered from “systemic failures” in its response to the terrorist threat in Benghazi, Libya, and had insufficient numbers of security on the ground, according to an independent panel investigating the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. consulate there.
The report confirms that intelligence agencies and the White House erred in initial accounts that the assault in Libya sprang from public outrage against a U.S.-made anti-Islamic video, and is likely to rekindle Republican criticism about the administration’s handling of the attack, which was a key issue in the weeks leading into the Nov. 6 presidential election.
The Accountability Review Board study, conducted by a board appointed by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and led by Adm. Mike Mullen, a retired top Pentagon official, and Thomas Pickering, a longtime U.S. diplomat, faulted a “lack of proactive senior leadership” for security in Benghazi, and said physical security was “profoundly weak.”
More at the link. William Teach noted that no one would actually be held accountable:
Who could have seen this coming when no underling wants to indict their superiors?
(The Hill) An independent review of the deadly attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi made public Tuesday night faults “systemic failures and leadership and management deficiencies at senior levels” of the State Department.
The report by the Accountability Review Board says the local mission’s reliance on Libyan guards and militia members was “misplaced” and that the Libyan government’s response was “profoundly lacking.” However it “did not find reasonable cause to determine that any individual U.S. government employee breached his or her duty.”
Further down, he noted:
The report also found fault with Stevens, who was given a long leash because of his professed expertise about Libya and the security situation following Muamar Gadhafi’s overthrow.
“Embassy Tripoli did not demonstrate strong and sustained advocacy with Washington for increased security for Special Mission Benghazi,” the report says. It also confirmed that Stevens decided to travel to Benghazi on the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks “independently of Washington, per standard practice.”
Ah, so we’re blaming the dead guy. Who asked for increased security many, many times. Which was denied many, many times.
Hey, where’s the report on who gave the stand down orders and refused to send in US military assets to attempt to save our citizens?
Well, of course you blame it on the dead guy. After all, he has already been . . . disciplined . . . for his mistakes. And the Secretary of State, who assumed full responsibility, was already planning to retire, and now, coincidentally enough , is unable to testify about the whole thing. But nobody who was actually going to stay in government is going to be held accountable. I guess that we’ll just learn from the incident, and make things better, right?
One wonders what the reaction of the Democrats would have been to this report had John McCain won the 2008 election, and John Bolton had been our Secretary of State.
OK, sorry, that’s a lie: no one wonders about that at all. The Democrats would be up in arms, demanding the resignation of the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Defense, and perhaps the impeachment of the President, had we stood by and done nothing while the Secretary of Defense and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff been watching the whole thing, in real time, broadcast from an overhead drone.
- The Lonely Conservative: No Wonder Hillary Has A Headache
- American Power: Libya Inquiry Sharply Critical of State Department
- Le*gal In*sur*rec*tion: Benghazi Report — No protest, deteriorating security conditions ignored